If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Retro Wednesday

Johann
This is my great great grandfather. He came over to the United States from Germany with his brother, Frederick. I've heard that the brothers were stow-aways on the ship and I've heard they worked their way across the ocean. I don't know which is true. Anyway Johann married my Great Grandmother, Sophia. They lived in Kentucky at the time. They had a son named Wilhelm and he worked in a Blacksmith Shop. In fact my dad has a photo of him standing out in front of the shop. The original was a tin type photo. Dad took it and had it blown up. The features are not real clear, but you can definitely tell by the way he stands that he's a family ancestor. Sadly Wilhelm was kicked in the head by a horse and died before my grandfather was born. Poor Great Grandma was a bride, a widow and a mother all within 1 year! My great grandma was a great woman of faith. When she prayed for people they were healed immediately. My dad has told of so many healings because of her prayers. I can't wait to someday meet these family members in heaven!
So this is my picture from Wordless Wednesday (sorry it wasn't too wordless :) ) Come join us a OhAmanda's
to see other people's Black and White Wordless Wednesday photos.

11 comments:

  1. Whoa love the beard!! Love it when you have stories to go along with the pics! Just great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture reminded me so much of a photo that my mom has and we had a Sophia as a great-great-grandmother and her mom was a JOHANNA. WEIRD!!! You don't have Shaefers or Grecths in your family tree do ya?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's weird. Dad said that Grandpa used to sit with a magnifying glass looking at the photo of his dad in front of the blacksmith shop, trying to figure out what he looked like. Why didn't he just look at this photo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen I had the history part messed up a little. Johann was our great great grandpa. I left out a generation. I think I have it straight now.

    Erica - I don't think we have family by that name. I've worked on our family tree in the past but it's been several years since I've done anything with it. As you can see from the paragraph above, I had this messed up at first. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME. I love the pic, the story and everything! What an awesome heritage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! What a great treasure to have! I was captivated when I found a compilation of the history of my grandmother's family, which went all the way back to the time of the Mayflower -- but no photos. It is such a joy to look back over the generations and see where features and personalities pop up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story... Hey didn't know you were sick.. How ya feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great old photo! I love that you know your family history and can pass it down to your children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful to hear about your ancestors! What an inheritance!
    I like your blog too, and your testimonies about the faith in God! God bless you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this picture and your interesting family history.
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting. Have a wonderful Day!

Cathy