If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Tuesday 4 - Holiday Time

Holiday Time

Hi. Welcome to the continuation of Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4.  Just 4 questions to get you thinking, talking and visiting other bloggers. Click Holiday Time above to link up.  

This week it might be nice to focus on December and it's traditions.

1.   The 7th is Pearl Harbor Day when a terrible sneak attack by Japan on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii destroyed many ships in the American fleet and convinced Congress to declare war.    

President Roosevelt said,  "Yesterday, December 7, 1941—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by the naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."    Yes, it should be infamous forever.    How do you honor the memory of the men who died in this cowardly attack? Do you put out your flag on that day to remember the service men killed?  No, I don't because by then my Christmas flag is up and honestly, I've just never thought to put the flag up that day.   I am very thankful for the men and women in our military both then and now.

2.  Many people begin baking, buying gifts, decorating for the upcoming holidays of Chanukah and Christmas.    Do you bake or buy?  What cookies and cakes are your favorite this time of year?  Got a recipe to share?  I used to bake cookies and sometimes make some candy.  I don't do that now, because if they are in the house, I will be the one who eats them.  However, my favorite cookies are Tollhouse Chocolate Chip and I follow the recipe on the Nestle's Chocolate Chip Bag.  As far as candy homemade it would be Buckeyes and Dad's homemade Peanut Butter Fudge.  

3.   December 15 is Bill of Rights day. The 18th begins Chanukah the Festival of Lights during which the light was rekindled in the desecrated temple in Jerusalem.  The temple was cleansed and the light reentered it.  The 21st is the Winter Solstice or first day of winter.    What traditions, days, etc. have meaning for you in December?   How about advent.. does it hold meaning for you?  December is birthday month.  My sister's birthday is the 2nd and it's a big one this year.  My mother-in-law's birthday is the 15th, my daughter's fiance' has a birthday on the 16th and then we celebrate Jesus' birth on the 25th. 

4.  Christmas music is being played in stores during these December days.  Does it play in your home? How excited are you for the upcoming holidays?  Yes, I love Christmas music and if I'm alone in the car it will be playing and sometimes we play it at home.  I've also been practicing playing Christmas carols for church.  I'm looking forward to all the music, decorations, lights, etc. Oh, I forgot...I also have put the Christmas ring tones on my phone...it just makes me happy.  I also enjoy being with family, although we seem to be dwindling down and our groups are much smaller.  Of course with my daughters out of state, we don't get to be with them, but we enjoy some live video chats.  Not the same, but it's still good.

Thanks for visiting and I hope you have a great day.

Cathy



12 comments:

  1. Nestle's tollhouse are wonderful! Its an exciting time of year and so meaningful. Thank you for joining in. I really enjoy getting to hear about what people do and think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't able to be with my family for Thanksgiving and my daughter did a facebook call. It was great, not the same as being there but I sure enjoyed seeing everyone via my laptop. Enjoyed reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother wasn't fond of baking but come the holidays there would be all sorts of German cookies (my father loved, but were hard as rocks), Norwegian pasty, Divinity and peanut brittle. This year I may try to make my grandmother's anise candy drops, 'just because.' Honestly, I forget about playing Christmas music but will be putting up our tree this afternoon and need some accompaniment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in my office at church and am listening to Christmas music. I love divinity but have never made it.

      Delete
  4. We always put our flag out every day, so it will be out. I don't do as much baking as I used to, but somehow we accumulate too many sweets during the holidays anyway. Now that our son Scott has moved out I don't know if he will have time to bake my grandmother's Sand Tart cookies per family tradition...we shall see what develops. I love Christmas music and play it at Dixie Cottage on the Alexa while we are there. We play more Christmas music the closer we get to the holiday. Enjoy your Christmas and Advent season. Such a wonderful time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Christmas music. Enjoy the season! Loved your answers! Have a nice week!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your answers. Dwindling family groups for the holidays seems to be the norm these days. I miss the big, loud, fun Thanksgivings and Christmases. Have a blessed rest of the week, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting. Have a wonderful Day!

Cathy