If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Tuesday 4

 

Your Life

Welcome... This is Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4 and boy are we glad to see you! Click here to link up.

In keeping with our theme of looking at the past, maybe we can talk about your past life and what it might have been like?

1. What was life like for you as a child of elementary school age?  Friends, games, TV, music, food, interests?  Tell us about it won't you?  I had many friends at school, but seldom saw them anyplace but school.  At home my friends were my brothers and sisters.  There were five of us.  Loved tag, hide and seek, Red Rover, playing the the sandbox, swinging, etc.  Food - mostly whatever mom or dad cooked and for a sweet, ice cream was a favorite.  TV on Saturday's was cartoons and in the summer we watched local favorites, Uncle Al and Captain Wendy and Captain Kangaroo.  Interests...when I got old enough I loved reading biographies for kids about historical characters and Little House Books and anything the teachers read to us and then I check them out at the library and read them myself.

2. Moving along to the teen years would you mind sharing some of the same things with us? What were you interested in?  What did you watch on TV or listen to on the radio?  Tell us all about you as a teenager.  I still loved reading and I also had learned to do embroidery, and some crocheting and did that.  I liked watching the 4:00 movie after school most days and then whatever we watched as a family in the evenings.

3. Would you share your college or young working years with us?  Did your interests change or grow in


your late teens or early 20s?  Did your friend come or go?  Did you live at school or home or have a place of your own?  So many questions only you can answer. No college for me.  At 16 I worked at Kings Island in the summer and fall and summer weekends and the year after I graduated high school I worked there again and in the winter worked at Gold Circle which was similar to KMart.  Then went back to Kings Island for the summer and then started the job I just retired from as a dispatcher for 25 years and then for the last 20 years I was clerical and dispatch when needed.  I lived with my parents until around age 25 and then my sister and I moved in together and I lived with her until hubby and I married.

4. And lately... what are the topics occupying your mind right now?   How have things changed in your life in the not to distant past. Are you okay with the changes?  As most of you know, the biggest change for me is that I just retired after 45 years of work.  I'm great with the changes although I suppose I'm still adjusting to all the changes.

Thanks for dropping by.. come again, won't you?

Cathy

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your retirement! No doubt there is some adjusting - but I'm sure you find your "new normal" soon - and will be loving it! Were you a police dispatcher? In a life long ago (ha), I was a dispatcher for one of the local police departments. Not my finest hour (hours) of life but I did meet my husband there so I am grateful for it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was a police dispatcher for about 25 years. It's a tough and scary job. Nice to meet another police dispatcher. I was so thankful that for the last 20 years or so I did clerical work most of the time but dispatched when they needed me still.

      Delete
  2. What a great childhood! I didn't realize you had 4 siblings: built-in friends! This 'lonely only' (introvert) had one or two close friends; my besties were mostly books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I would have done without my brothers and sisters.

      Delete
  3. I loved reading you answers. It sounds like a very nice childhood. Thank you for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful story. I didn't realize you came from such a big family. I was the baby of 4 children, and I was 4 1/2 years younger than my sister and my brothers were older than her, so I didn't do a lot of things with them. My sister and I did play together when we were young, but by the time elem. school came, she was in Jr. high and so we didn't do as much together after that. But we are still close today. I enjoyed your story. I still can't get over that you were able to work at the same location all those years! That is pretty amazing to me. But, we moved a lot in our years of seminary and then small churches, etc., etc., and so I felt pretty good that I had worked at one place for six years when I retired from it! LOL. (that's why we don't have any big retirement pension to live on but we are thankful for what we have). Great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. As far as the job, I believe that was definitely a God thing. I worked at Kings Island part time and my older sister was full time there and she met and became friends with the girl that ran communications there. She then hired me as summer help so I learned to dispatch. Then my dad knew the police chief in our town and told him if he ever needed a dispatcher that his daughter would be interested. Then one day yhey did and he told dad and I went in for an interview. Then 2-3 days later I went in for training and the rest us history. lol. But also God let me meet Tracy and we married and God kept him in churches in this area close enough that I could keep working. In fact he’s been pastor of our current church for 25 years now. See it’s all been because of God. We are definitely blessed.

      Delete
  5. Happy retirement. I hope its wonderful for you. I enjoyed reading about your life quite a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life was so much simpler when we were kids, wasn't it? I remember watching Captain Kangaroo every morning in the summers. And today's kids will never know what a treat those Saturday morning cartoons were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was definitely simpler and I'm so glad I grew up when I did.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed reading your stories. You certainly were a loyal worker and after 45 years you have a well deserved retirement. I hope you enjoy it to the full.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was trying to remember Captain Kangaroo for my post but the name was slipping my mind. I also loved popcorn...forgot to add that too...lol. Enjoyed your stories

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting. Have a wonderful Day!

Cathy