If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Wednesday Hodgepodge

 


1. When the Hodgepodge lands on September 11th I want to acknowledge that. Will you purposely pause to remember, pray, or attend any sort of ceremony on 9/11?  I'm sure I'll find myself thinking about it.  Actually, I think hubby recently found a documentary about 9/11, so maybe we'll find time to watch that. Share any thoughts or memories you'd like to share about this day. I was in surgery that morning to have my gall bladder removed. I was the first surgery of the day.  My surgery had just ended when the first plane hit.  So at least, my surgeon was not distracted by that.  I remember they told me as they were taking me back to my room and there was a small TV on the wall that looked so far away.  I really had no idea what they were talking about.  But after getting home, that's all we watched for days.  So sad!

2. Growing up, did you spend a lot of time with your grandparents? What's something you learned from a grandparent? I don't know if I'd say a lot, but we saw my mom's parents every week as we went to church together, and then when I was in high school, they built a house right next door to us.  I saw my dad's parents when they were home in the summertime and quite often we visited them in Florida during Christmas break from school.  I'd say I learned the love of the Lord and our church (because both sets of grandparents started the work of the church that I grew up in)  I would not change that heritage for anything.

My Dad's Mom and Dad. These are the ones who had the Fruit Loops
and lived in Florida in the winter.  I also remember their little dog,
Bubbles, who was from the same litter as our dog, Poochie.  Grandpa
had taught Bubbles to bow her head when they prayed before
 they ate.  We loved Bubbles and Poochie.

This Mom's Dad and Mom.  Grandpa always sang
bass in quartets at our church.  He was very good. 
He also played guitar, although I can't remember that. 
He was injured in a farming accident and cut off his 4
fingers on one hand.   I only remember him this way. 
He later gave his guitar to my mom and as an adult
with 5 kids, she took lessons and learned to play. 
That guitar has now been given to my nephew who is a
fabulous guitar player.  It wasn't too long ago he brought
it out when we visited their home and played
it for us.  What a blessing that was!

3. What's your go-to breakfast? I really don't have a go-to breakfast.  I almost always eat breakfast, but what I eat changes daily.

4. Tell us the story behind one of your favorite photos. 

This photo was taken in the courtroom on Adoption Day of our girls.  And that is my brother's son with them.  Aren't they all just the cutest!  Some day, I need to share the full story of their adoption and all the miracles God did, just to bring us all together as a family!  God is so so good!!

5. This week Friday lands on the 13th. Are you superstitious in any way? Do you like scary movies, and if so what's your favorite? I am not superstitious and I'm not fond of really scary movies.

6. Insert your own random thought here.    I saw this on Instagram and wanted to share it and this seems like the perfect place.  It was posted in by @heidileeanderson.  


Thank you Joyce for another great Hodgepodge of Questions.  Thank you all for visiting and you can click on the Hodgepodge button at the top of this post to link up should you like to join us all.

Cathy

17 comments:

  1. I would love to read the story of the adoption!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget so many things that happened (as I have a really terrible memory), but hubby starts telling the stories and brings to mind so many things I'd forgotten. I keep trying to get him to right it down for me.

      Delete
  2. Me, too! I never thought about the effect on surgeons and other essential workers on 9/11 happening in real time. And clergy, too! Please excuse me if I'm being too personal, but was that a time Tracy found writing his sermon especially difficult? So many of us sought comfort from our pastor, but I never thought about his own emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not being to personal. I went to his office and asked him your question and below is the gist of what he said.

      He said that it was very difficult to come up with the words to bring comfort to all. He said that while preparing, he referred back to Pearl Harbor and how people responded to that attack on our country and was able to get some insight through some of his research. He said that Sunday morning, the first thing we all did, was have prayer together and then he gave his sermon. He reminded all of us that God is still in charge and was not taken by surprise by any of that or by anything at all. It brings great comfort to know that God never loses control and always knows what's happening and through it all still loves us. This can be hard to keep in mind during any times of trouble, but it is still the truth.

      Delete
  3. Hi Cathy, I enjoyed your pictures and would like to hear your story. We also adopted our daughter when she was 6 weeks old. My husband and I worked for the postal service and he had to deal with the anthrax scare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. Adoption is a wonderful thing.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I'm glad your doctor wasn't distracted. Glad you got to see your grandparents. That photo is so precious and what a beautiful day for you. I love your random thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to hear the adoption story. That picture is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we would love to hear about the adoption. What a beautiful story you must have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing the pictures of your grandparents! You were blessed to have them both close by in your life. I love the guitar story too. And yes, I'd also love to hear about the adoption story. I didn't realize the girls were a little bit older when they were adopted, so there must be quite a story there. Are they birth siblings? Sounds like all of us want to know the story (see comments above), so I hope it's not something too personal to share? If so, we understand. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. They are half siblings. Same mom, different dads.

      Delete
  8. I would also love to hear your adoption story. This was a fun Hodgepodge. I love seeing the photos of your grandparents!! Have a blessed rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet photo of your kids! Sounds like your adoption story is a wonderful one, and I'd like to hear it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed seeing pictures of your grandparents. I enjoyed that last graphic you shared.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting. Have a wonderful Day!

Cathy