If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2021

Thankful Thursday and Lifelong Learning - 10 on the 10th.


You can link up here or here for Thankful Thursday

I am so thankful this week for a new Bible Study I've started.  It is for our Fall bible study at church starting in september.  I got the book early and have started some lessons and I believe it is going to be so good.  It's priscilla shirer's "Elijah".  
I am thankful to have lived another year.  My birthday was last week.
I've enjoyed the last 2 nights working a jigsaw puzzle.  It's been awhile since I've done one.  And I'm thankful for a sister who has lots of puzzles and is willing to loan them out.

****************************************************************************

10 ON THE 10TH 08.2021: LIFELONG LEARNING

I'm late on this meme, but enjoyed reading other's answers and decided to join in too.  So mine is actually 10 on the 12th.  lol  Go here if you'd like to read others posts or link up with your own.

  


1.    How old were you when you started school? Did you attend pre-kinder and/or kinder or go straight into first grade?  I was 5 years old when I started Kindergarten.

2.    Were you a good student? What was your favorite subject?  Yes, I was a pretty good student, but probably a little lazy.  If’ I’d worked and studied a little harder, I believe I could have been a straight A student.  My favorite subjects were math (until we moved and I had to change schools as a Freshman and Algebra kicked my butt because the new school had a different book and they were way ahead of us.) and I liked Reading.

3.    As a child, did you take music lessons? Or play a sport? Do you still play an instrument now?  I took piano lessons from 2nd grade and until I graduated.  I did not play an organized sport.  Yes, I still play piano.

4.    Did you attend any kind of training or classes beyond high school? If so, what did you study?  Did you wind up working in a profession or job for which those classes or training prepared you?  I did not go to college, but I have taken many classes and training connected with my work over the 45 years I’ve been here.

5.    Have you taken any personal growth or adult education classes for fun? During the year that was Covid, did you home school, learn a new app to work from home, teach yourself to do something you might have paid someone else to do for you?  No, I haven’t taken personal growth or adult education classes.  I’ve used YouTube to learn stuff though.  Like new stitches for my crocheting and I learned to use a knitting machine from YouTube videos.  

6.    What would you like to learn how to do that you don’t know how to do already?  I would like to learn to play the ukulele.  

7.    Name something that you learned easily. Then name something that was a struggle for you to learn to do. Crochet was fairly easy to learn, but Algebra was really hard.  I passed but I can’t say I know it.

8.    What’s the last thing you remember learning? What kind of learner are you: visual, auditory, hands-on/kinesthetic, verbal, logical/mathematical? How to use the knitting machine and I’m a visual learner.  

9.    Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, school of hard knocks, pass with flying colors, learn by heart, burn the midnight oil, pull an all-nighter, play hooky – which of these expression best fits your life lately? Why?  Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.  But I’ve learned I can learn, it just takes a little more time sometimes.

10. What is something you’ve learned from past mistakes?  Don’t jump to conclusions until you’ve heard the whole story.

    11. Bonus: Share your favorite learning/education quote.   “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”  ― Mahatma Gandhi 

16 comments:

  1. I so want to get that Priscilla study - I was hoping Lifway would make that their fall study so I can see the videos online.

    Love that point about jumping to conclusions... that is the truth. Always more to the story.

    I have learned more things in thanks to YouTube! God bless the people that put the tutorial videos on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about YouTube. I'm always looking things up to learn how to do stuff!

      Delete
  2. I love Priscilla Shirer! Good for you, sticking with the piano. After 6(?) years of taking lessons (which I loathed), my parents finally let me stop. Unfortunately, now I can't recognize a single note on any of hubby's sheet music.
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like lessons either, but I loved playing and was always at the piano playing something and then mom made me play at church if I was asked to fill in and now I'm our church pianist for the past almost 25 years.

      Delete
  3. A belated Happy Birthday Cathy! That study sounds really good not to mention that my grandson is named Elijah! Thanks for visiting me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that name and thanks for the birthday wishes.

      Delete
  4. Your puzzle looks great. Fun reading your answers on the 10 on the 10th. If I didn't already say it....Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun and I've already taken it apart and put it away and have another out to start tonight.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday last week! That puzzle looks hard! I wish I could keep one out to work on but the cats would all three want to help! LOL I enjoyed your post! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the puzzle was pretty easy as it was only 300 pieces. I've got a 550 piece to start tonight.

      Delete
  6. Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you did something fun to celebrate! I admire you for playing the piano. I never took lessons. I was too busy playing outside. But when I became a pastor's wife, that was the first question they asked me, "Can you play the piano?" When I said no, they said, "But our pastors' wives have ALWAYS played the piano!" I told them that unless they wanted to sing Mary had a little lamb or chopsticks they probably would not want me to play the piano. LOL. They found plenty of other jobs for me to do as the "pastor's wife". I love that puzzle. Did you finish it already? That looks like a hard one. I love jigsaw puzzles, but I can't sit still long enough to work on them. I enjoyed your answers. Good questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't really celebrate by birthday because I worked and then we had church. But after church we stopped at Frisch's Big Boy drive-thru and got a piece of hot fudge cake, which was delicious and fun.

      Delete
  7. I'll be waiting hear what you think as you go along in Elijah. I bought it last year to do as a personal study, but haven't gotten to it yet. That's a pretty puzzle. I bought some second-hand puzzles at Goodwill and spent the money on a nice puzzle case so I can put them away while they are in progress...but I haven't actually started one yet. lol Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister buys lots of puzzles and she is always willing to loan them out. I finished that one and have another on the table ready to start tonight.

      Delete
  8. Oh, Cathy, so glad to have you join for 10 on the 10th. I really had no idea how this prompt would go and it turns out it was very popular. I have learned so much about my blogging friends by reading their responses. And have some new favorite quotes. Your quote is especially good. And so true.

    I can't remember or may never have known what your line of work is...but 45 years at it is amazing. My college degree was really just a piece of paper. I learned far more by working in the real world.

    My BFF bought us a Texas puzzle (my state) to work on vacation but we didn't get to it. Wish you could come over and work it with me. My PC isn't much on puzzles and my kitties are. So I can't leave them out long!!

    Glad for your new Bible study. I have enjoyed the work books of a friend Mary Clewley. If you are ever in need of a new one, please consider checking her out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back again...you are a pastor's wife...I cheated and reviewed your profile above. But I did know that. And I remember that now. What a difficult job!! But so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting. Have a wonderful Day!

Cathy