If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2022

Saturday 9 - Blue Collar Man

 

Welcome to Saturday 9. Today's meme is Blue Collar Man (1978) Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here

1) In this week's song, we hear a job equated with security. Tell us something that gives you a sense of security. Being with my husband, but most of all knowing Jesus as my savior.

2) Lead singer Tommy Shaw hopes someone will make him an offer he can't refuse. That's a reference to a famous movie quote. Without looking it up, can you name the film? Nope

3) Shaw recalls that this song was inspired by a friend of his, a blue collar worker who had been laid off and was frustrated by the process of job hunting. His friend wanted to work, not fill out forms and job applications and wait days for a response! Do you quickly become impatient? It really depends on what the problem is, but unfortunately I become impatient a lot more than I wish I did.

4) The name "Styx" wasn't the top choice of anyone in the band. As founding member Denis DeYoung recalled, "It was the only name none of us hated." Tell us about a recent compromise you made (which TV show to watch, toppings on your pizza, etc.). The other night we were watching an episode of CSI New York and at the end we found out that there was a Part 2.  I hate to not know the outcome and hubby has no problem with waiting.  So instead of going to another show (which we normally would watch)  hubby agreed to watching Part 2.  That sounds silly because I know we often compromise, but that's really all I can think of right now.

5) Labor Day was introduced to celebrate the achievements of the American worker. How many different employers have you had? 1 full-time employer that I started working for at 19 and just retired from 8 months ago.  Before that I had 4 or 5 part-time employers.

6) The first Waffle House was opened on Labor Day, 1955. What's your preference: waffles or pancakes? Waffles

7) Labor Day mattress sales are a big business. Experts tells us we can expect to spend $1,000 for a good-quality queen-sized mattress. Will you be buying a new one -- or perhaps making another big ticket purchase for your home -- before year end? We may buy some easy chairs for our home, but no mattresses right away.

8) Will you be attending a Labor Day picnic or barbecue? No plans to.

9) Labor Day is the unofficial start of fall. Have you had any pumpkin spice yet? No.  I like pumpkin pie and pumpkin roll, but that is about the only pumpkin I eat.

Thanks for visiting.

Cathy

18 comments:

  1. #4 doesn't sound silly at all! That's the kind of compromise that maintains harmony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I desperately need a new mattress, but that's such a BORING purchase. LOL. Fortunately, exercising patience isn't difficult -- unless it comes to "last minute Tom" getting ready to leave for church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, other things are much more fun to purchase. I'm afraid that would be hubby waiting for me and needing patience. lol

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on patience...I'm not more often than I should be. Probably why God provides so many opportunities to teach me patience. LOL Pumpkin rolls are a favorite of mine. I'd rather have that than pumpkin pie. Have a safe and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I like to watch CSi, NCIS and Blue Bloods together. Lots of other shows like Survivor. We compromise by watching it together the next day since he goes to bed early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #7 I've been looking for a new recliner but the old one has memories. My father bought it for me as a house warming gift back 30 years ago. He got me a "tall" recliner, he was 5'4" and I'm 6', I felt like 'Edith Ann' my feet never touched the floor. But I never complained he was so proud with giving me the chair that I could never say anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that story. Thanks for sharing it with me.

      Delete
  6. Same job until retirement is rare these days - not necessarily with folks of a certain generation, but it is getting to be a thing no longer done. Congrats on your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen to number 1...and I pray every day for lost souls. WELL, we all know we picked up and moved 5 months ago, so I am starting over career wise at 55. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pumpkin pie and pumpkin concretes. I do not always go get a pumpkin concrete though. We will have pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. yummy! Loved your answers. Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. No pumpkin spice things for me, either! I enjoyed your post, Cathy, and wish you a blessed Sunday and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri! I hope your Sunday is good too!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and commenting. Have a wonderful Day!

Cathy